MEET NEW YORK JETS FAN GUS!
Author: NY JETS UK CONTRIBUTOR
Happy Fan Friday to all in a rather frosty United Kingdom!
The Jets return home to MetLife this Sunday as they play host to the Detroit Lions in a crucial contest entering the final stretch of the season.
That game will be live on Sky Sports as well as talkSPORT 2, so make sure to tune in and watch or listen as well as following our coverage online and on social media!
Our Fan Friday this week shines the spotlight on Jets Twitter’s very own Gustoon - AKA Gus Berridge - an absolute legend of the Jets UK community! Let’s ask him a few questions…
- Name: Gus Berridge
- Twitter: @Gustoon
- Location: Durham, England
- Jets Fan Since: 1984/85
- First Jets Memory: My first Jets memory was one that I didn’t even know was happening at the time. I’d been into football for about a year and hadn’t chosen a team at that point. I was working in a hotel at the time and had the great fortune to have some Jets and Giants players staying in the hotel, one of which was Greg Buttle. I have to tell you he was a lot of fun! He also became the reason I became a fan, he said I would be a typical Jets fan, I still don’t know what that means lol. Being a Jets fan in the UK back in the 80s was a very lonely time (before the internet) Most were Dolphins or Bears fans. I have a soft spot for the Bears and Walter Payton, the Dolphins on the other hand, they are the real rivalry not the Pats.
- Favourite Jets memory: I have to be careful here. In 2018 my girlfriend and I made a trip to New York for Thanksgiving where I proposed. That was pretty special. But it has to be randomly bumping into Wesley Walker at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami in the parking lot! My favourite player ever!! Had another trip a few years later and got to meet some amazing Jets fans including Gotham City crew down in Jacksonville. Also got to tick another box on my bucket list, meeting Fireman Ed. I’ve been a fan of Fireman Ed as far back as when he used to have hair! A great guy and a great ambassador for our team.
Then just this year at the draft party in London meeting the legend that is Nick Mangold. Yet again another terrific ambassador for the Jets and so thrilled that he has so much to do in the UK, he’s absolutely perfect for that role. The one thing I do have over him is better hair ha ha.
- Ever visited MetLife?: I’d waited for this moment since 1985. It was the Thanksgiving game against the Patriots in 2018. At one point we were winning and then… But we still had the best time ever with amazing seats at the 50! Unfortunately it wasn’t the best season. Forgot my first game certificate as well 😞
- Favourite current Jet: This is so difficult as there are so many I absolutely love! Can I just pick the whole team? If I have to pick one it has to be #56 Quincy Williams, he plays like his hair is on fire! Yet another high character player with a fun side.
- Favourite all-time Jet: Easy. Wesley Walker. Everything about the man. What he’s overcome and what he’s achieved are remarkable and what an absolutely amazing player! That speed!!
Love being a Jets fan 🙂
Thanks to Gus for sharing some incredible memories over the years of his Jets fandom and for being such a crucial member of our Jets UK community!
For anyone who would like to be featured in future weeks, please get in contact with us via DM on Twitter or via the email address listed below!